Free

I went to see the Foo Fighters (July 21) in Boston this past Sunday.  It was a great show.  I won tickets from the radio station WBLM.  I went with my middle child who is 21 now.  

So, what did this cost me?  About $350 dollars.  Why?  

  • We took a Amtrak Train to Boston North Station ($132 round trip), then the subway to Kenmore Square ($12 for two rides back and forth).  
  • Two t-shirts, @$35 each, = $70.  That's actually cheap for concert shirts.
  • A beer is $11 dollars at Fenway Park.  We each had 4.  
  • Food.  It was a 13-hour trip.  We had to eat.
It all adds up.

I suppose driving would have been cheaper.  It's around $60 to park and probably would have costed $25 for gas.  I just didn't want to drive.  I've done it before; it is a major source of stress when you need to find parking and try to get through the traffic in Boston.  

Was it worth it?  Sure!  I got to spend the day with my daughter, and we had a great time.  I just hadn't planned for it, so I had to juggle a few things to make it work.

What I did plan for is a weekend about 120 miles in the opposite direction for August 3rd and 4th.  We're spending the night in Bangor Maine.  We're going to see Styx, Foreigner and John Waite on Saturday.  Then the Smashing Pumpkins on Sunday.  I will be driving back late Sunday night.  

The moral of this story is nothing is free.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freewheeling

All good things must come to an end

Coyote