About a month ago I went to Goodwill by the pound, which is in Gorham Maine. It's a place to go treasure hunting. And occasionally you'll find something good. While there, I found a DVD series called, "How to Play the Piano". This is put out by The Great Courses, featuring Professor Pamela D. Pike, who is a music professor from the Louisiana State University. There are six DVDs with a total of 36 lessons. It costed about 50 cents. I'm currently six lessons into it, and I'm doing things I've never been able to do before. I'm playing chords, I'm playing melodies. I'm learning the patterns. I'm using both hands. I've even gone off on my own and started learning a couple of classic rock songs. I also bought the book which accompanies the DVDs from Amazon.Kindle. It is on my tablet. So, I'm able to follow along with that. That costed five bucks. Then I found an old but nice Casio keyboard, at a yard sale. I paid $15 bucks for t...
I don't have anything to say this morning. So why am I posting this? Because sometimes you just have to freewheel it. I am just typing. I am just doing what I do. I write every morning, or at least try. It keeps my brain focused. It keeps me sharp. It is a way to work through my personal bullshit that I have to deal with. It's a way to solve problems. It's a way to work out finances so I can keep my head above water. Writing can be somewhat therapeutic. I can't get bogged down in my thoughts, so I need a way to work through them. That's what writing does. It helps to think things through, to clarify. I write short little thoughts here, but they usually start out in my Dump Book. What is a Dump Book? It's like a journal except after you write in it you tear the page out and put it in the shredder. Why? Because nobody ever has to see it. It's a way to help me...
I went to see the Foo Fighters (July 21) in Boston this past Sunday. It was a great show. I won tickets from the radio station WBLM. I went with my middle child who is 21 now. So, what did this cost me? About $350 dollars. Why? We took a Amtrak Train to Boston North Station ($132 round trip), then the subway to Kenmore Square ($12 for two rides back and forth). Two t-shirts, @$35 each, = $70. That's actually cheap for concert shirts. A beer is $11 dollars at Fenway Park. We each had 4. Food. It was a 13-hour trip. We had to eat. It all adds up. I suppose driving would have been cheaper. It's around $60 to park and probably would have costed $25 for gas. I just didn't want to drive. I've done it before; it is a major source of stress when you need to find parking and try to get through the traffic in Boston. Was it worth it? Sure! I got to spend ...
Comments
Post a Comment